It is simple and hassle free !!!
Vietnam is a beautiful country and is of late welcoming tourists after years of war and isolation. Vietnam is broadly divided into Northern, Central and Southern parts. Hanoi, Ninh Binh province, Sapa and the Halong bay area are the main attractions in the northern part, culturally rich cities of Hoi An and Hue form the central part and lastly Ho Chi Minh city and the Mekong delta area comprise the Southern part of Vietnam. Mekong delta is also a convenient point to cross over to Cambodia.
Indians travelling to Vietnam have the option of either getting a Visa in advance at the Vietnamese embassy in India or they can opt for the Visa on arrival facility which has been now extended to Indian nationals also. The following steps are to be followed in case of Visa on arrival :
1. Contact any local Vietnamese travel agency for the issuance of a Visa Authorisation letter. This is a pre-requisite without which you will not be allowed to board the flight to Vietnam. It is best to get it done through the hotel which you have booked. Just mail them the scanned copy of your passport and pay the fees(usually between USD 10-15) and in a day or two a scanned copy of the authorisation letter lands in your inbox. Check the names and passport details mentioned in it, take a print out and keep it with your travel documents
2. Keep a recent photograph (4 cm X 6 cm)ready with you.
3. Your passport should have minimum 6 months validity and at least 2 blank pages for affixing the visa sticker.
4. Keep USD 45 ready with you as the Stamping fee to be paid at the visa counter.
5. You should have confirmed tickets for exit out of Vietnam
As you disembark from the plane follow the sign leading to the Visa on Arrival counter. Visa application form is available there free of cost, fill it up, affix the photograph and attach the Visa authorisation letter and hand it over to the official along with your passport. The visa is processed and after a while your name is called, now you need to pay the Visa fee of USD 45 per person. The passport is handed over to you along with the Visa sticker affixed on the passport. Now proceed to the Immigration counter where the visa is stamped and you are allowed in to Vietnam.
The process is very easy and hassle free !!!